Goth Panda

Olympic NP and Snoqualmie June 2014: Day Seven

We said goodbye to Mike’s parents this morning. They were moving on to Vancouver Island, while we were headed back towards Seattle. We still had one more day in Washington.

Since we didn’t need to leave right away, we went over to the Quinault Rainforest and did a short hike. This was the only place in the park where we were attacked by mosquitoes. Quinault was not crowded at all. It was pretty early in the morning, and we were the only ones there besides the ranger.

They had trail brochures available, and I think this is how we learned that it takes the hanging moss on this tree 100 years to grow four feet.

Quinault rain forest trail, Olympic National Park

Quinault Rainforest Nature Trail

After our short nature hike, we started out for the kitschy pop culture portion of our Pacific Northwest tour. We went to North Bend and Snoqualmie, home of Twin Peaks!

We're at the Double R Diner!   Twede's Cafe, North Bend, WA.

We had lunch at Twede’s Cafe, which is still in the business of Twin Peaks memorabilia. They sold us a little map with filming locations on it, and we saw the police station, got lost trying to find the sawmill, and inadvertently drove past the high school while lost. We stopped at Salish Lodge and Spa for photos of Snoqualmie Falls.

Great Northern! (Salish Lodge and Spa, Snoqualmie, WA.)

From the Twin Peaks credits, I had always assumed that the Great Northern was in the middle of the forest somewhere, but the Salish Lodge is right in the middle of town. I was very surprised. We made reservations to come back that night for dinner.

I’m not sure we would have indulged in a Twin Peaks nostalgia tour if it wasn’t for another draw – spending the night in a treehouse. As soon as Mike found out this was a possibility, he was all for it. So we spent our last night in Washington State at Treehouse Point.

Our treehouse!

If we were going to stay in a treehouse, I insisted that it have a bathroom. So we ended up in Nest, which I think is one of the smallest ones. I didn’t mind the smallness and the bathroom worked fine. It had no running water, of course, but it had an incinerator toilet. I had no clue that these even existed before this trip.

The interior of our treehouse for the night.

We walked all over and looked at all of the other treehouses. There are quite a few to choose from, all in different designs. We thought it would be a great place to go back to for a family reunion in the future. Then we went back to the Salish Lodge for a very fancy dinner. It was an odd contrast to our rustic accommodations.

The only problem I had with Nest was that it backed up on a pretty busy road and we heard a lot of road noise. It detracted from the treehouse-in-the-woods experience. But the treehouse itself I liked. It was sweet and cozy, and it was hard to get out of bed the next (cold) morning to make my way to the shower. The bathrooms with plumbing and showers were shared, but no one else was up when I went down. I think most of the rest of the trees had been at a party the night before, but we had to get up early to get back to Sea-Tac and catch our flight home. We stopped for one last time at Twede’s Cafe and we were on our way.

Leave a Reply