Goth Panda

Seattle June 2013: Day Two and Three

My first night in Seattle, I woke up around midnight and I was horribly sick. I couldn’t sleep again because of it. I kept thinking the whole night that I could get it out of my system and be fine by morning. But when morning came, I still felt so terrible that I wasn’t even disappointed to not be able to go out. I managed to sleep later that morning and slept most of the rest of the day and night. It was the first time I have ever gotten sick while traveling and it was No Fun.

I had been proud that for once I hadn’t overplanned for Seattle. There were a manageable number of things I wanted to see and do, and I had given us almost three full days to do them. But now that I had lost one day, suddenly it seemed like almost everything had to be done in one day, Day Three. And the worst part was I was still getting over the illness.

We all got up early, one of the benefits of the East to West travel time change. I was still sore and tired, and it hurt to stand, walk, and breathe. But I was determined to make the most of my now one full day in Seattle. We went to Citizen Cafe for breakfast and I will take everyone’s word that it was excellent because I could barely eat a slice of their toast.

After that we went to Seattle Center for the tourist highlights. The EMP Museum was still closed, so we took a round-trip monorail ride.

On the Monorail

On the Monorail

Just so you know my prejudices in advance, I have to say that I love the Monorail, I love the Space Needle, I love all of the remnants of the 1962 World’s Fair in Seattle and the preserved in amber vision of the future they represent. I wish Philadelphia had a functioning monorail. How much more awesome would that make my commute?

We spent the morning at the EMP Museum, which was tailor-made for Mike, with exhibits on science fiction, horror movies, and fantasy in addition to the music.

EMP Gift Shop
EMP Gift Shop

Hendrix at the EMP
Hendrix on the video display

Science Fiction Exhibit

EMP Museum in the sci-fi exhibit.

Captain Kirk's chair and tribbles.

This Dalek looks a little worse for the wear

Powerpuff Girls animation cell.

Mike in the Scream Booth
Mike in the Scream Booth. My own effort in the Scream Booth was sadly marred by laughing.

Boris Karloff in the Horror Hedge Maze
Frankenstein haunts the horror movie maze

We had lunch at the Space Needle, and of all the touristy things we did in Seattle, this was one of the most enjoyable. It was expensive, but the food was good and the views were incredible. I could only eat a few bites since solid food was still not appealing to me, but my highlight was a cherry Italian soda. I think we did more than two revolutions during the meal, so we saw the city from all sides. The photo below looks like a movie screen, but it was that beautiful of a day.

View from the Space Needle

The floor revolved but the windows stayed still, and another diner posted a note that we all slowly revolved past. She was here with her daughter for her daughter’s 16th birthday, it said.

After lunch, we went up to the observation deck and walked around it before coming back down to visit the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum.

Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. #seattle

Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum

Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. #seattle

Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. #seattle

Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum

Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. #seattle

The museum was compact and photogenic, which was good since I needed plenty of spots to rest. Mike spent a lot of the time taking photos of his dad posed so that the huge glass sculptures were coming out of the top of his head.

In the late afternoon, we took an Underground Tour, which disappointed me but it might just have been because I wasn’t fully recovered and there wasn’t any place to take rest stops. I enjoyed seeing the sidewalk skylights from underneath and hearing about the historical details. I think that, growing up on the East Coast, I got a very East Coast-centric history education and I don’t know enough about the history of the West Coast. I think if I had been feeling better I would have enjoyed it more.

We walked up to the Pike Brewery for dinner, and then walked around Pike Place Market, but almost everything had closed for the night. Mike and his dad then went back for the car to pick us up, while we rested outside of the Starbucks on the corner, which gave us plenty of time to observe the panhandlers and street people in the neighborhood. One passed the time repeatedly attacking a street sign. It was strange, but I never felt threatened by the Seattle street people, although I did think some of them could have used more psychiatric drugs than they were currently receiving.

We tried to go up to the Noble Fir for some local cider varieties, but we didn’t realize they were closed on Mondays. So we ended up back at the hotel pretty early, and I fell asleep immediately, still trying to get over my illness.

Leave a Reply